Invisalign aligners are one of the most convenient options for orthodontic treatment, as they are removable and you are allowed to eat any foods you want without consequences. However, to ensure a smooth treatment process, it’s important that you use best practices for maintaining the cleanliness of your aligners. Even though you may be removing them when you eat or drink, they are still susceptible to bacteria collection and discoloration if you don’t clean them properly. Luckily, the cleaning process is relatively affordable and easy.
Charlottesville Orthodontics has created a list of the biggest do’s and don’ts of Invisalign maintenance so that you can keep your aligners odor-free and clean throughout your treatment.
- Soak your aligners with Invisalign cleaning crystals to keep your aligners stainless.
- Brush and floss your teeth before putting your aligners back on. Your Invisalign can trap food and bacteria between your teeth and the aligner if your teeth aren’t thoroughly cleaned. This can lead to tooth decay and cavities. Lower your risk for expensive dental problems by practicing proper oral hygiene care.
- Rinse your aligners in water whenever you remove them so that bacteria does not build up in your retainers.
- Place your aligners into a hard plastic container while you eat. It’s important to make sure your aligners are protected when you take them out so you don’t misplace or damage them.
- Eat or drink while you have aligners in. This can make your aligners eventually smell bad and discolor.
- Use toothpaste to clean your aligners. Most toothpastes are too abrasive for aligners and can ultimately dull them.
- Vigorously brush your aligners. Rough brushes or aggressive brushing can leave scratches on your aligners that allow more space for bacteria.
- Place your aligners on or near a heat source such as a radiator. This can warp the plastic material and ruin the personalized shape of your aligners.
Have more Invisalign questions? Contact us!
Your local orthodontists at Charlottesville Orthodontics are the professional experts in Invisalign and can answer any more questions you may have about Invisalign. If you’re looking for orthodontic treatment in Charlottesville or Zion Crossroads, schedule your first appointment with us. If you have any questions about your first appointment, don’t hesitate to reach out and speak to a member of our knowledgeable staff. We look forward to helping you achieve your ideal smile!